Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Frenemies

Raising siblings is HARD. I definitely did not know what I was signing up for when I had two kids! Of course I wouldn't change anything for the world.. but now, while I'm in the moment, its EXHAUSTING. Joe and I were talking about it the other day and we agreed that when the kids are separated they are angels; but when they're together they are MONSTERS. Screaming, crying, fighting--its non-stop. I know that it isn't just my kids;  I was at AT&T yesterday and I was talking to the manager, and she said her kids were exactly the same (hers are 5 and 3--the ages Maverick and Madison will be at the beginning of next year. Ipso facto: theres no light the end of the tunnel--at least not yet). 

The best way to describe Maverick and Madison's relationship is "frenemies." That's EXACTLY what they are. Joe and I have noticed that if we are busy and aren't paying attention to the kids, they play nicely and quietly together. The second Joe or myself tries to join in and play with them, the screaming and fighting starts. What do we do?! Never play with them, and live in peace? Not gonna happen. I know that this is a phase, but it is very frustrating.

Its funny though; the second they are excited about something, they completely forget about their fight and are best friends again. Its actually really funny to watch. They are currently teamed up being mad at me right now--because they made a HUGE mess and I'm making them clean it up. I'm such a mean mom, right? I know.

Its hard to "enjoy the age they are" when the age they are at brings attitudes like this. Everyone always says "treasure them while they're young; before you know it, they'll be in high school and want nothing to do with you." Honestly, that doesn't sound half-bad. Okay, I'm kidding.. but really. They aren't always fighting; there's definitely cute times in between all of the screaming. I just need to figure out how to keep their fighting to a minimum. I guess that's part of the whole 'sibling experience.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me a message.. I'd love to hear from you!