Monday, June 17, 2013

Southwestern Black Bean Salad

With all of the summer barbecues coming up, its great to have lots of options for side dishes to bring. That's where I come in--I love eating, so I can try tons of recipes and tell you which ones are worth making and which ones you should pass on. This is another one of my Pinterest recipes--actually from the same website my zucchini lasagna came from (I'm thinking that I should take a look at this lady's website and go through her recipes--I've loved 2 of 2 so far!). This recipe is for a Southwestern Black Bean Salad--perfect for dipping chips in and using it as a salsa, or serving it as a side dish to compliment your barbecued chicken. This is such a delicious, light, and refreshing salad. Lets get started:


Picture courtesy of skinnytaste.com

Ingredients:
15.5 oz can black beans (rinsed and drained)
9 oz of cooked corn, fresh or frozen (thawed if frozen)
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/3 cup of red onion, chopped
1 scallion, chopped
1 1/2 - 2 limes, juice of
1 Tbsp of olive oil
2 Tbsp of fresh minced cilantro (or more to taste)
salt and pepper
1 medium Haas avocado (I used 3 in mine--just cause I love avocado)

Directions:
In large medium bowl, combine beans, tomato, onion, scallion, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze fresh lime juice over everything and stir in olive oil. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Add avocado just before serving.

Boom, done. So easy, yet so delicious. Here's some nutritional facts (based on if you use 1 avocado instead of 3 like I used) :

Servings: 13  Serving size: 1/2 cup  Weight Watchers Points+: 2 points  
Calories: 79.5  Fat: 3.5 grams  Carbs: 12 grams  Fiber: 3 grams  Protein: 3 grams
Sugar: 1 gram  Sodium: 127 mg (without the salt)  Cholesterol: 0 mg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me a message.. I'd love to hear from you!