Saturday, June 22, 2013

Roasted Red Pepper and Basil Pesto Penne

Summertime is here and the living is easy--the days are longer and everyone is more carefree. With this active time of year comes a certain livelihood where you lose track of time because you're doing stuff you love. More often than not, we are usually so busy doing something that dinner just seems to sneak up on us--and I have nothing prepared. I came across this recipe on Pinterest (what a surprise, right?), and just had to try it out. As an Italian, I love almost anything with the word penne in it--so my interest was immediately sparked. What I love most about this recipe is that my kids loved it.. it seems they're getting pickier and picker on what they like (not on what they eat--because I'll make them eat it regardless). They loved this and were asking me for seconds before they even finished their first bowl. This pesto literally takes about 5 minutes to make--you can do it while your pasta is cooking--and you can have dinner ready within 10 minutes. Boom--easy.


Ingredients:
3 cloves of garlic

1/3 cup of parmesan cheese
1 cup of roasted red pepper (fresh or jarred--I used fresh)
1 cup of basil leaves

1/2 tsp. of salt
1/4 tsp. of pepper
1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. of penne pasta
1/4 cup of heavy cream, optional (I didn't use this because I didn't have it)

Instructions:
Place garlic in a food processor* and pulse until finely chopped. Add parmesan, red pepper, basil leaves, salt and pepper. Pulse until well combined. With the motor running, add olive oil through the feed tube and process until incorporated. Set aside.

Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and return to the pot. Add the pesto to the pasta and stir to combine. Stir in heavy cream if desired for a creamier sauce. Heat until warmed through. Serve immediately.

*I used my Magic Bullet to make this. I used the "blender" attachment instead of just the large cup so that I'd be able to add the olive oil through the feed tube on the top. Worked great :) 

This is a delicious pasta recipe that I'm sure your family will love--and you'll love how easy it is to make! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me a message.. I'd love to hear from you!