Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Make it Special

I am a huge enthusiast of birthdays--every year when my kids' birthdays roll around, my wheels start turning and I try and think up of new ways to make their day special. I have a birthday in August--when school is out--so I never got the "class party" or having my mom bring cupcakes in for everyone--and I always wanted it. Nothing my parents could have done differently; I'm an August baby and that cant be changed. Lucky for my kids, they're born in January and March--so they'll always be in school for their birthdays--and I fully plan on making it an incredibly special day for them.

Since they're still too young to start school (Maverick starts August 2014--I cant believe it!), I try my best to make their birthdays the best day ever. Madison is just now getting to the age where she knows whats going on, and this year her birthday was on a Saturday (the day we had her party), so the night before her birthday, after she went to bed, Joe and I decorated the entire downstairs. Unfortunately for Madison, having a January birthday probably means indoor parties every year due to rain. This year we threw her a princess party, so after she went to bed we got to work. We hung gigantic princess decorations all over the entire downstairs, hung glittery swirl things from ceiling fans, and blew up about 50 balloons and had them placed all over the house. It looked like the house threw up pink and purple princess stuff--it was everywhere. The look on Madison's face when she walked downstairs the next morning was priceless--she was SO excited!


Madison enjoying her birthday cake!

Every year on their birthdays, they always get their special birthday breakfast: chocolate chip pancakes. They only get this on their birthdays, so they get so excited for it. Since Madison's birthday fell on the day of her party this year, that's what we did for her special day. Maverick, on the other hand, had his birthday in the middle of the week--which meant a party on a different day.


We did his pirate party the weekend before his birthday this year (you can read about it 
here) ...because his party was later in the day (and for the first time ever, it didn't rain on his mid-March birthday so we were able to have it outside!), we didn't decorate until the day-of.. Maverick woke up the day of his party and couldn't wait to eat his chocolate chip pancakes (he was disappointed when I told him that he wouldn't get them till his birthday in a few days; he got over it quick). We had his party and it was a huge success; everything turned out adorable and everyone had a great time. A few days later it was his birthday--and I had big plans. 

The morning of his birthday, he woke up to all of his presents set up and waiting for him downstairs; he opened all of them before Joe went to work, and then it was time for the pancakes--which of course he loved. I wanted to make his birthday special, so I had the entire day planned out. First, we went to Toys R Us. We never go to that store--let alone with the kids (its usually a nightmare), but I made an exception. I took him there and let him pick out a few toys he wanted--and he LOVED that. Next we went to McDonald's.  Sounds stupid, but he was SO excited to get a happy meal for his birthday! Lastly, I took him to Chuck E Cheese for the first time--we had some friends meet up with us and it made it extra special. He was in HEAVEN. He had so much fun at that place (and I didn't realize how cheap it is--you can spend a few hours there for $20!). I skipped his nap for the day (which is always a treat for him; he is thrilled any time I let him skip nap time). After we finished at Chuck E Cheese we headed home then went out to dinner with my sisters after Joe got off work. We took him to BJs and he got his free birthday pizookie (which, who doesn't love those?!). We finished the day off and got home around 9:00 pm--it was a day full of fun activities and he was wiped out. We went home and put him to bed and he was out for the night--I think his birthday was a success. 


Maverick having fun on the Chuck E. Cheese "ride"

Fun at Chuck E. Cheese!

Maverick's presents that were waiting for him on his birthday

Along with everything else I do to make their day special, they also get a cake made special just for them! Madison didn't really care what her cake looked like, but Maverick LOVED his cake this year! 


Madison's princess cakes!

Maverick's pirate cake!

Growing up, I don't remember my birthday ever being a HUGE deal (maybe it was? Maybe I just don't remember?), but I have friends whose parents made HUGE deals of their birthday and I always thought it was such a fun tradition! I want my kids to feel special every day of the year, but I want them to feel extra special on their birthdays. When they're in school, I fully intend on bringing cupcakes to their classes and taking them out to lunch during the school day--I just know they'll love it.

Growing up, were your birthdays a huge deal? What traditions did your parents do for you? What traditions do you do for your kids? I'm always trying to figure out new fun things to do to make their day extra special, so the more suggestions the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me a message.. I'd love to hear from you!