Friday, June 21, 2013

Pumpkin Bread!

Today is an extremely exciting day. Why, you ask? Because autumn decorations are out at Hobby Lobby. Yes--you heard right--the (fake) pumpkins, faux maize, and cinnamon candles are out. I love absolutely everything about Fall--the colors, the warm feeling you get inside, the crafts, the decorations, and the food. There's nothing better than some warm, feel-good food on a crisp Autumn night. To celebrate this exciting day, I'm going to share my favorite pumpkin bread recipe that I got from Joe's aunt Karen. I've passed this recipe on to my mom (who makes mini-pumpkin loaves for everyone and then passes the recipe on to them). This pumpkin loaf, in my opinion, could not get any better--its perfect. The strudel topping to it complements it perfectly and gives a subtle crunch (for lack of a better word). 



Ingredients:
-2 cups of pumpkin (1 lb. can)
-1 cup of oil
-3 cups of sugar
-4 eggs
-1/2 cup of water
-3 1/2 cups of flour
-2 tsp. of cinnamon
-1/2 tsp. of ginger
-1 tsp. of cloves
-1 1/2 tsp of salt (I usually leave this out, but I'm sure it tastes as delicious with it)
-2 tsp. of baking soda
-1 cup of chopped walnuts (optional)

Topping:
Mix 1/4 cup of brown sugar and 1/4 cup of sugar and sprinkle on top of loaves just before baking.

Directions:
-Combine pumpkin, oil, eggs, water, and sugar in a large bowl until well mixed.

-In another bowl, mix together flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, baking soda and salt.

-Add flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and stir until mixed. If desired, add optional nuts and stir.

-Pour into two greased 9x5 loaf pans** (sprinkle optional topping on top if desired) and bake at 350* for 1 hour and 20 minutes--or until a toothpick comes out clean after inserting it in to the center of the loaf.

**If you'd prefer, you can bake them as cupcakes for about 20-25 minutes or as 6 small loaves for about 1 hour.

...You'd better believe that as soon as the Christmas decorations are fully out at Hobby Lobby (by the end of July--they have some out now, but I'll hold off), I'll have a Christmassy recipe to share. I understand that its June--I don't think you guys fully understand my holiday obsession. This blog is gonna get crazy over the holidays with tons of craft, decorating, and recipe ideas. Brace yourselves ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me a message.. I'd love to hear from you!