Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Cherish your Family

Today I'm heading up to Orange County to go see my grandpa. My sister Brianna and I are going to spend some time with him then go hit up Ikea. I am SO excited to see him; we haven't seen him since Christmas--and that's way too long. My cousin owns an autobody shop up there and my ac in my old car had been broken for years, so I just kept saying that I'd go see my grandpa once I brought my car up to get fixed. Weeks passed, then months passed, and now it's been 8 months since I've seen my grandpa--and that really makes me sad. 

My grandma passed away last September, so my grandpa has been on his own for almost a year now. When I called him the other day to tell him that we were all coming, I could literally hear the excitement in his voice over the phone. I can tell that he is so excited to see us--specifically Maverick and Madison. Before we got off the phone, he made sure to specifically ask if I was bringing the kids, and I said of course. My grandpa's health isn't the greatest; he has a defibrillator and a pace maker placed on his heart and he has congenital heart failure. Because of all of this, he no longer has his drivers license--so my sister, the kids and I are going to take him out to lunch today.

I can't explain how excited I am to see my grandpa today. He is the only grandpa I've ever known; my mom's parents died when I was a baby. I've felt like I sort of abandoned him once my grandma died; we knew that it was going to happen soon, so we made sure to go up there often to get as much time with her as we could. Now that I have my new car that runs perfectly, I plan on seeing my grandpa a lot.. especially because I know how much he loves seeing my kids.

This is the stuff that matters. All that other stuff I write about is nothing compared to this. Family is EVERYTHING. Spend whatever time you can with the ones you love; you're never guaranteed tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen! This is such a nice post! My name is Heather and I was hoping you would be willing to answer a quick question I have about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Send me a message.. I'd love to hear from you!