Friday, August 23, 2013

A Special Shopping Trip

As you may have seen yesterday, I went through the kids' clothes and gathered up what didn't fit anymore so that I could donate it to charity and make room for winter clothes. I didn't know that I would be getting rid of half of their closet! I feel like every year we kinda slack on buying winter clothes; we wait till its cold out and the kids only have shorts, THEN we head to the store. Well, not this year! We took the kids shopping last night and got (most of) their winter clothes. They got jackets, jeans, long-sleeved shirts, and shoes (in summer we only wear sandals. Although we live in southern California and I wear sandals year-round, the kids' little piggies cant handle it).

This was our first time legit shopping with the kids: buying their clothes somewhere other than Target--which means theres an array of brands with sizes that fit differently. That's right: we had to use the fitting rooms. Some might think that clothes shopping with kids and having them try things on is a nightmare, but it was the exact opposite. We actually had a really fun time! Both of the kids were so excited to buy new clothes; a little backstory: earlier yesterday, while I was going through the kids' old clothes, I had them try on anything that I was going to get rid of--just to make sure it didnt fit. Maverick didn't know that getting rid of old clothes meant getting new clothes, so he put a pair of jeans on (that went ABOVE his ankles) and said "they fit!" I told him that we were going to give them away so that another little boy who didnt have clothes could wear them--and at first he was hesitant (I think he thought that I was going to get rid of all of his clothes and just leave him naked!), but he quickly caught on and was very easy to get him to let go of his clothes.

Both of the kids were so excited to actually try the clothes on in the store. Joe shopped for Maverick and I shopped for Madison, obviously. Every time I would put a new outfit on Madison in the fitting room, she would run over to the mirror, look at herself and say "oh I look cute!" Haha!! I made sure to ask her "do you like it? Is it cozy?" Of course the answers were always 'yes.'

Last night may have been 'just a shopping trip' to someone else, but to me it was really special.  It was a sign that the kids are starting to grow up; we actually had to try the clothes on them before buying them?! We had never done that before. It also solidified, once again, that we dont need anymore kids. We've got a good thing going with one boy and one girl--last night was just so much fun.

So now we are just patiently waiting for some cold weather--and I know it'll be here before we know it. I've had the kids' christmas jammies since last Christmas (clearance! Just buy a size up!) and I cant wait to give them to Maverick and Madison--theyll be so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me a message.. I'd love to hear from you!