Monday, August 12, 2013

Bad Mom?!

I am SO excited for my upcoming trip to Palm Springs this weekend with Joe. I can't believe that we have already been married for 5 years... I guess what they say is right: time flies when you're having fun! We're going to spend 3 days, just the two of us, relaxing by the pool and just enjoying each other's company.

But that brings me to a dilemma: I want to get a poll started. How many of you would say that I'm a bad mom because I go on vacations without my kids? I know there are some of you that may think that way--and I'm really curious as to why. I obviously know my reasons for vacationing without them: 


  1. I'm with them 24/7--3 days away from them will not do ANY harm
  2. Joe and I need "our" time to keep our relationship strong. We have a very strong marriage and I believe its because we haven't centered our relationship around the kids. 
  3. It isn't that we don't like vacationing with them; we had an amazing time in Myrtle Beach last year with the kids--we're actually planning another vacation for sometime this year WITH the kids. Its that not everything is kid-friendly and they don't need to come on every single trip.
I know that as a parent, you may think that my life revolves around my kids--but it doesn't. I may be a mom--but I'm still a human being: I have hobbies that I like to do, movies that I want to see, and trips that I like to take. In a sense, my life revolves around the kids on a day-by-day basis.. that's my job. It doesn't mean that I have to do EVERY SINGLE THING with them for the next 18 years. My parents used to go on vacations without my sisters and I--and guess what? As a kid, I never felt left out or like they were bad parents. They will be celebrating their 29th wedding anniversary this coming October--so they must have done something right.

This blog isn't pointed at one specific person: I just know for a fact that there are people out there that feel differently than me. I really don't see their side of the fight, and I'm really curious as to what it is. All I know is that I can't wait for this weekend alone with Joe--and the kids are so excited to spend some time with grandma and grandpa. Without these trips, I would probably lose my mind. These trips keep me sane--and that's a good thing for all of us. So really--if you think I'm a bad mom because of this, comment here, send me an email, shoot me a text: I'd LOVE to hear your point of view on this :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me a message.. I'd love to hear from you!