Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Summertime Memories

As you probably read the other day, Joe and I built a fire pit in our backyard. We have talked about putting one in for well over a year, and now that we actually have, I wish we would have done it sooner. Last summer was one of the best summers of my life: we were never bored because we were out in the backyard all day long every weekend. The kids loved it! Now that we have a fire pit to accompany our summer fun, I'm positive that this summer is going to be even better than last. 

This past Sunday night we had our first bonfire--my sisters had just gotten home from a week-long camping trip up north with my parents, so we invited them over so that the kids could see them. We roasted marshmallows and made this year's first round of s'mores--and of course the kids went nuts over them (okay okay--so did I). It was a great night filled with fun conversations and we were out there for hours. I cant wait for all of these upcoming summer weekends--I know that we will be making memories that will last a lifetime. 

I love the simplicity that comes with summer: the tv is off a lot more and we're actually outside doing stuff. Hanging around the bonfire, you actually talk to people instead of playing around on Facebook, Instagram, texting, or even blogging. Summer is the time to build relationships and friendships--whether its making new ones or rekindling old ones. Although I love the holiday season because of the "closeness" I feel, summer--in a way--gives the same kind of feeling. You spend quality time with the people you love and you make memories that'll last forever. I'm guilty of constantly trying to rush the seasons--when it's Spring, I cant wait for it to be Summer; when it's Summer, I cant wait for it to be Fall; when it's Fall, I cant wait for it to be Winter. Its a vicious cycle, and I need to keep reminding myself to stop rushing life and just go with the flow so that I can enjoy it. This, right here, is how I can do that. Spending my summer nights with my friends and family that I love so much. I already love this fire pit--not only because it makes my backyard look pretty, but because of how much fun I know we're going to have using it. Happy summer, everyone! Go out and make some memories!


...nothin better than some great conversation! 




Time to roast some marshmallows!

...think Maverick liked his s'more? 

From left to right: Joe and Madison, my sister Brianna, our friend Branden, and my sister Rachel :)

Finally got the fire goin!

She's cute <3


No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me a message.. I'd love to hear from you!