Friday, July 19, 2013

Sprucing Up Your Closet

Who says closets have to be ugly and dingy? When we bought this house, the closets were a WRECK. They were all painted with a flat white paint--so of course they had scuff marks all over them. Our downstairs closet was so gross and I never wanted to go in there. I finally got fed up and just painted it one day--and now it looks clean! Our master closet was another story though. We have a pretty big walk-in closet, and of course it was painted with that same flat white paint. There were scuff marks everywhere, shoe scuffs on the wall, dirt smears--gross. I think we all know by now that I like things to be unusually clean--so its amazing that I lasted 2 years in this house without painting this closet. With Joe out of town this week, I thought I would surprise him with a little closet remodel. Joe, if you're at the airport right now and reading my blog, 'x' out of the screen right now :). Since I'm a weird one who prefers a dresser over a closet, this huge closet is all Joe's--so I wanted to make it somewhat manly. 

Here is the 'before' picture. Plain white (dirty) walls. 

The camera flash washed out all of the scuff marks on the walls, but they're definitely there. Also had luggage stacked on the shelf and piles of hats sitting on top of the shelf. 

First and foremost, I went with a grey-and-white color palette. Sue me. Its my current paint-duo obsession, and I'm just gonna go with it. 

Ah, fresh paint <3

Once the paint dried, I put all of the clothes back in the closet. The clothes are organized into categories: long sleeved shirts, v-necks, crew-necks, collared shirts, suits/dress shirts, and pants/shorts. It really isn't hard to keep up with the organization once its done :)

I went to Home Depot and bought thumb tacks so that I could hang all of Joe's hats around the ceiling in the closet. Now they aren't stacked up on the shelf; they're displayed nicely so that he can choose one easily. 

So much better, right?

It just looks clean now! And manly ;)

And lastly: Now that he has a suit-and-tie job, he's accrued quite the collection of ties. He had nowhere to hang them, so he had all of them draped over a hanger. I wanted to give him something where he could hang them up nicely so that he could see them all and (again) make an easy decision on which tie he wanted to wear, so I went to Home Depot and bought this $14 towel rack. If you're friends with me on Facebook and saw my status the other day about 'hanging something up by myself' --this is what I was talking about. That's right: miss independent here--hangin' stuff up all by myself ;)
Overall, the closet looks fantastic and I know Joe is going to love it. Not only is it much more presentable for when we're showing people around our house (yes--who doesn't want to see our closet?!), but its also got way more functionality (and looks pretty too--which is a must for me)  ;) This is Joe's new "man closet." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me a message.. I'd love to hear from you!