Saturday, July 6, 2013

How To: Make a Mustache Cake!

I absolutely love making cakes. I finally took pictures of the process I go through, and here's a step-by-step tutorial on how I make my cakes! I'm obviously not a professional and I just do this for fun, so if you see an imperfection--there's no need to call me out on it :). My cousin Chara is pregnant with her first baby, a boy they're naming Jackson. Of course I had to make her a cake; honestly, she could have gotten a new puppy and I would have said "oh how exciting! Let me make you a cake!!" just to have an excuse to bake. However, she is pregnant, and pregnant women love cake--so it worked out perfectly. She requested a red velvet cake--which was great because I LOVE making red velvet (I'm obsessed with my cream cheese frosting recipe). 


Bake your cakes then set on parchment paper and let cool.
Next, make your frosting. This cream cheese recipe is my go-to recipe for red velvet cakes--its SO good (recipe is listed below)
All mixed up! DON'T do a taste test--It'll be hard to stop eating it once you try it! (Tip: if you do try it and want to dip stuff in it, graham crackers taste amazing in this ;)--however, don't eat it all: you need to frost your cake!)
Time to start frosting the cake. These 3 things will be your best friend while frosting cakes: a large and small spatula and a cake turntable.
Don't worry if it doesn't look perfect; just make sure its straight. 
Once the layers are stacked, frost it completely. Be generous with the  frosting; your guests can always scrape off extra if they don't like a lot of frosting. 
I forgot to take a picture of this step, so I'll just tell you here. Before you start piping on your design, I draw it out with a toothpick first. Doing so helps you to see how the cake will turn out, and if you don't like how it looks, you just smooth the frosting out and start over.
Once your okay with your outline, pipe your frosting on!  Go slow, but don't freak out if you mess up--you can always scrape it off  and start over. 
I always like to pipe some sort of design at the base of the cake; it seems to finish it off nicely :)
...and done! This was a pretty basic cake but it was fun to do :)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
Ingredients:
3 - 8oz packages of cream cheese, softened
8 - tablespoons of butter
2 - teaspoons of vanilla
8 - cups of powdered sugar

3 - teaspoons of milk

Directions:
Mix all of the ingredients together then let set in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Be sure to store frosted cake in fridge if there are leftovers. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me a message.. I'd love to hear from you!