Sunday, July 7, 2013

How To: Make a Thoughtful Gift (Part 2)

If you read my blog yesterday, you probably already know that my pretty cousin Chara is pregnant with her first baby--a boy that they're going to name Jackson. I am so thrilled about this pregnancy--I've always thought that she would make a great mom: she is such a fun and loving person to be around that I know her kids are just going to be awesome. Yesterday my mom, sister and I took her out to lunch to celebrate her upcoming bundle of joy--and if there's a few things I know about pregnant women, its that they: love cake and love receiving anything with their baby's name on it. During my pregnancies with both Maverick and Madison, if anyone gave me anything with my kid's names on it, I was over the moon. Something about seeing it written down--permanently--on something just makes it so real. 

Typically gifts are given in bags (I'm no exception to that--those are usually my go-to for wrapping).. but if you happen to buy one of those baskets that have the cloth lining inside them and display all of the gifts in that, it seems like you put WAY more effort into the gift (and I have no idea why; it takes the same amount of time as putting everything into a bag). Spend a few extra bucks ans personalize it with their baby's name: you'll be the hit of the party. Are you not crafty and have no idea where to start? Fret not--I'm here to save you ;)

Here's what you'll need (or variations of this):
Find out: baby's name, room color, and room theme--that way you'll be able to customize your gift as best as you can. My cousin happens to be decorating the baby's room in a burnt orange color and a Calvin and Hobbs theme--which is extremely hard to find. SO, orange box it is ;) Find a box you like, pick out your paint, and buy wooden letters to spell out the baby's name. The scrapbook paper pictured here was mod podged to the bottom of the box :)

Paint the box, mod podge the scrapbook paper onto the bottom inside of the box, then  glue the name onto the box. (The glue and mod podge were still wet when I took this picture, which is why you can see it. That all dried clear) ;)

Once everything is dried, put in all of the stuff you bought for them.  I bought diapers, wipes, pacifiers, a pacifier clip, shampoo, receiving blankets, onesies, a cool spoon-feeder thing, and those mesh feeders for teething babies. 

See how much more personal this looks rather than just giving it in a bag?  Pregnant women love getting stuff with their kid's name on it, and who doesn't need extra boxes for storage?! Win/win.
I love the way these kind of gifts turn out, and the recipient is usually pretty excited too. The presentation alone just looks great. This doesn't take long to make--the longest part of it is waiting for the paint to dry--and its fun to do. Go make one and see the reaction you get--it doesn't get much more personalized than this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me a message.. I'd love to hear from you!