Friday, July 26, 2013

Re-purposing Wine Bottles

I'm obsessed with re-purposing wine bottles. I've seen so many ideas on Pinterest for painting wine bottles and putting designs on them, but I've heard from friends that painting wine bottles is a huge pain in the butt. I love the look of jute, so I thought I would wrap jute around my wine bottles and go from there. Once I got going, I realized I wanted to make TONS of these so that I could have them out any time of the year. With each wine bottles taking about 45 minutes to wrap, I knew that would be a lot of work. I thought about how I could use the same wine bottles but still be able to use them as house and/or holiday decorations, and I came up with this idea! *This is super fun to make and not hard at all. If you're wanting a crafting day, this one takes the cake ;)

I started with 2 wine bottles, a beer bottle, jute, and my glue gun. You could use all beer bottles, all wine bottles, or whatever you wanted. I'm doing a 3-bottle set, so I liked the look of the beer bottle being in the middle--I love the shape of it. 

All wrapped up! Like I said earlier, each bottle takes about 45 minutes to wrap. Starting at the top, secure the jute with some hot glue. Once that's dried (about a minute), start wrapping the bottle. "Secure" the jute every now and then with some hot glue--just in case it starts to unravel, you wont have to start over. It'll also help secure it so that the jute doesn't move when you pick the bottles up. Be sure to wrap it tight! 

Here's my supplies to decorate it. Today I made a Christmas bottle decoration and an every-day decoration. The red fabric, white "plaques", cardboard letters, black paint and the paint brush are all for the Christmas bottles. The flowers are for the everyday bottles (I need to buy a few more supplies for the everyday bottles which I'll do before I finish posting this blog). 

I was supposed to be doing this craft with my sister, but she's been really busy lately so I just went ahead and did mine. Our Christmas bottles are going to say 'Joy' on them and I painted the letters black before attaching them to the bottles. 

Here I made cuffs. Wrap your fabric around your wine bottle until it fits perfectly. Then I used my hot glue gun to attach the fabric "plaques" to the material, then again used my hot glue gun to attach the letters. 

Here's my big idea: using velcro so that I could attach and take off "decorations" so that the wine bottles could be used year-round (it also will help with storage--I wont be storing a million wine bottles 24/7).  

Final product: my Christmas wine bottles. I haven't bought Christmas "flowers" yet (they aren't going to be flowers; they're going to be these bead things on a stick.. almost looks like a tree branch) because they aren't selling them at Hobby Lobby yet (next month!!), but these will not be empty. They are vases; you can put whatever you want in them.  

They'll look so cute sitting at the base of my stairs right when you walk in the front door. I cant wait to buy the stuff to put in them--I love the way these turned out! 
Just like that, I swapped out the cuffs and I now have an every day decoration that I can keep up year-round. 

(I'm not going to leave the flowers in there like that; I need to trim them down so that there isn't so much stem. I just put them in there to give an example). 

These turned out exactly how I wanted them to! They're a bit time consuming; I didn't do all of this in one day (although I'm sure you could if you wanted to). I plan on making a Fall cuff to attach, but I haven't decided exactly how I want it to look yet; hence, no Fall example. The great thing about these is that you can really customize them to fit your decor--and they look great! 

I hope you like it! Have fun! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me a message.. I'd love to hear from you!