Saturday, September 7, 2013

Homemade Marshmallow Fondant

Yesterday I had some fun making homemade marshmallow fondant. I've worked with fondant before--and everyone knows fondant isn't the greatest tasting.. but I'd heard that marshmallow fondant tasted way better. I didn't realize how easy it was to make! Literally 3 ingredients: mini marshmallows, powdered sugar, and water. Viola, you have homemade fondant. I made carrot cake cupcakes, frosted them with cream cheese frosting, then decorated them with my homemade fondant flowers.. and I think they turned out really cute! Here's how to make the fondant:

Ingredients:
16 ounces of mini marshmallows
2 lbs of powdered sugar
2-5 Tbsp of water
A little bit of Crisco (for kneading)

Directions:
1. In a large pot, melt the marshmallows and 2 Tbsp of water. It should be almost liquid.

2. Next, add 3/4 of the bag of powdered sugar and mix thoroughly. Knead the rest of the powdered sugar in. Note: be sure to grease the counter and your hands before kneading.

3. Now add your color, then knead knead knead! Knead for about 7 minutes until fondant is soft and pliable--if it starts feeling dry, add a tablespoon of water at a time.

4.For storing, first grease the outside of the ball, then double wrap in saran wrap and put in a Ziploc bag to keep moist. If you're using it right away, then you can just skip this step.

5. If you're using it right away, then sprinkle some powdered sugar on your workspace and start rolling it out--then cut whatever shapes you need.

SO easy! I was so excited about how this turned out.. and I love my little flowers!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me a message.. I'd love to hear from you!